Tuesday, September 8, 2009

HOW I KNOW I AM SAVED 1 John 5:11-12

Series: "Foundations: Lessons On Assurance"
Theme: Assurance of Salvation

A sermon preached at Hebron Baptist Church on September 6, 2009 by Pastor Joe Alain

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life1 John 5:11-12, NIV

One of our basic needs seems to be the need for security. Everyone would like to be sure of the future, sure that everything is going to be alright. We often find ourselves saying the words even when we’re not sure, “Don’t worry, everything is going to be fine.” One man said, “They told me to ‘Cheer up, things could be worse.’ So I cheered up, and sure enough, things got worse!”

However, we don’t want mere words, we want reality. What we’re dealing with today in our topic is a certain biblical reality. It’s not just mere words, it’s truth. And what is that truth? Read 1 John 5:11-12 together.

How can you know that you are saved – that you have eternal life? Is it even possible to know in this life that you are completely and forever saved? And can you lose that salvation once you have it? Today, as we begin this new series, “Foundations: Lessons On Assurance,” I want to share with you how you can know that you are saved. God wants you to be secure in your salvation. He wants you to know. He wants you to face life and death with confidence.

Why is this important? Have you been in an airport and ever noticed the difference between passengers who hold confirmed tickets and those who are on standby. My brother once worked for Delta Airlines and flew all around the country on standby. The ones with confirmed tickets read newspapers or books, listen to their I-pod, visit with friends and family, eat, or sleep. The ones on standby hang around the ticket counter, pace back and forth and are clearly uneasy. The difference is a matter of confidence. The standby people have no assurance they will board the plane and reach their destination. People who have accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior and who believe what the Bible says about salvation, have confidence, they know that God has saved them, forgiven them of their sins and given them eternal life. They know that they are on the plane and will reach their destination. Others live in a state of anxiety, never being sure they have truly been saved.

Assurance of salvation is something that you need to nail down once and forever and you can do that today. During the last election much was made of how a presidential candidate would respond to the 3 a.m. questions. Well, one day you and I are going to receive a wake-up call from the Lord. Will we be ready? God wants you to have the assurance of your salvation so that you will be ready on that day.

Before we answer the question, “How can I know that I am saved?” there are some common objections to this biblical teaching concerning the assurance of salvation (Eternal Security) that we need to look at.

OBJECTIONS TO THE TEACHING OF ETERNAL SECURITY
OBJECTION #1: No one can know with certainty in this life that they are saved. Some people believe that you can only really know after you die and stand before God, but that you cannot know with certainty right now in this life that you are saved. But, do we have to wait until we die to see if we’re going to make it? Are we really sort of on standby? You mean to tell me that even though I have my ticket I may not get on board? Our response to this objection will be obvious in just a few moments because it is clear from Scripture that you can know, you can have certainty.

OBJECTION #2: It is possible for a person to lose their salvation. To some people all talk of having assurance is nonsense because they believe that a person can lose their salvation. And how do you lose your salvation? These people would hold up sin in a Christian’s life as proof that you can lose your salvation. But is sin in a Christian’s life proof that they have lost their salvation? If it is, then you would have to believe that when a person becomes a Christian, they never sin again. Essentially, they would have to become sinless – perfect if you will. But is that what the Bible teaches? Salvation does not mean that you will never sin again. Salvation means that you are forgiven not perfect. I’ve met a few people who thought that they were without sin, but I don’t know of any Christian who has not sinned after they became a Christian.

Here’s an important truth we need to know. Sin breaks our fellowship with God, but sin cannot break our relationship with God. You may have a son or a daughter that decides to go their own way. They may be like the prodigal son. However, he is still your son. She is still your daughter. The relationship hasn’t changed even if the fellowship is strained and in need of being righted. A Christian can fall into sin after salvation. This is not God’s will and it does hinder our fellowship with God but it will not sever our relationship with God.

Now everyone that I have known that believes you can lose your salvation also believes that you can get it back. And how do you get it back? Usually by doing something that the pastor and church tells you to do. But here’s the real problem. If I can lose my salvation, then I have to do something to get it back. And if I can do something to obtain salvation, what is it? And why do I need what Christ did for me on the cross? Salvation is either a gift by grace or it is by works, but it cannot be both! Grace and works as a means of salvation are mutually exclusive. Salvation is given by grace and accepted by faith (Eph. 2:8-9). If there is anything that you can do to keep or regain your salvation, then there will always be the possibility that you have not held up to what you are supposed to do. Also, when do you know if you’ve done what you need to do? How can you ever have assurance that God has accepted you? You cannot if you believe that your salvation hinges on your behavior. You will forever be on standby.

Often a Scripture that is cited as proof that you can lose your salvation is Hebrews 6:4-6. But this passage is not saying that it is possible for a person to lose their salvation. The passage is presenting us with a hypothetical situation to prove the point that you cannot lose your salvation. The passage is actually saying that it is impossible to be lost once Christ has saved us because that would mean Christ would have to be crucified again in order for a person to be saved again, and this is an impossibility. This Scripture also makes it clear that “if” you could lose your salvation, you could never get it back.

If sin breaks our relationship with God and causes us to lose our salvation, then we’re all in trouble. Ill.: What happens if entertain an evil thought while I’m driving home from church today, and then get killed in an accident? Do I lose my salvation? If salvation depends on me I do. And if I do lose salvation when I sin, then I really never had salvation to begin with.

OBJECTION #3: People who teach eternal security give the impression that you can live in sin. I can hear some of my brethren say, “You Baptists (BTW, it’s not just a Baptist doctrine) just believe that you can walk an aisle and say a prayer, and then go out and live like the Devil.” First, I do not know of anyone who believes in the assurance of salvation that would say “trust Jesus and live like you want to.” It’s just the opposite. Because God has saved us and changed us, we want to live life now to please God. He has changed our “want to.”

I think most of us would be quick to say that not everyone who professes Christ possesses Christ. Are there false Christians? Sure. Jesus said so in Matthew 7:21-23. Are there people who just joined the church but did not join Jesus? Yes. Are there people who got wet but didn’t get washed? Certainly. But just because there are some false professors does not negate the reality that there are countless others who have been changed by the power of God and they are seeking to live for Christ.

OBJECTION #4: I do not feel like I am saved.
You cannot trust your feelings. Salvation is not dependent upon our feelings. Some people experience intense emotions while others do not. The validity of your salvation is not based on the magnitude of feelings that you experienced. Granted, we are emotional beings and we do enjoy “feeling” close to God, forgiven, etc. But how you view your salvation should not be dependent on what side of the bed you wake up on.

It’s been my joy and stress relief to know that I have been saved, I am saved, and I will be saved. I have absolute assurance. What God has given me, He will give to you. He has no favorites. The remainder of what I am going to say assumes two things: (1) The Bible is accurate and trustworthy concerning what God says about salvation, and (2) That you have received Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. You have asked Him to forgive you of your sins. You have invited Him to take charge of your life.

If you have never accepted Christ as your Savior, then you will doubt, you will not have assurance of salvation. I urge you to trust in Jesus today so that you can begin to enjoy the life that God has for you. You don’t have to remain on standby. Then you will be ready to face life and death. In just a few minutes, you will have that opportunity to accept Christ as your Savior. God wants you to know. Nail this down once-and-for-all today.

I know I am saved because of . . .
1. What Christ Accomplished on the Cross
* Our sin debt is paid in full! 1 Pe. 2:24; 3:18; 1 Jn. 3:5;
Heb. 9:26; 10:11-14. Christ’s sacrifice for sins was once-for-all! Jesus paid for my sins past, present, and even future. If the cross was not sufficient than nothing ever will be. On the cross a holy God was completely satisfied in Jesus.

* God’s gift of righteousness is forever! Rom. 1:17; 3:22;
2 Cor. 5:21. I could never add or subtract to what God has done in Jesus. I know I am saved because of what Christ has accomplished on the cross. What He did for me, He has done for you! Have you believed the Gospel?

I know I am saved because . . .
2. The Bible Says I am Saved (1 John 5:11-12)
Our focal verse 1 John 5:11-12 tells us clearly that if we have the Son we have eternal life. If we do not have the Son we do not have eternal life. It’s really just that simple. I have done what God has required. Jn. 1:12 – I have received Christ! Jn. 3:16 – I have believed in Jesus! Acts 3:19 – I have turned to God! Rom. 10:13 – I have called on the name of the Lord to save me. By faith, I did what God told me to do. Therefore, I can conclude that on the authority of God’s word, I am saved! The question is, “Are we going to believe God’s Word or not?”

I know I am saved because . . .
3. The Power of God Keeps Me Saved
Jesus told His disciples that no one that belonged to God would be lost, it’s impossible – Jn. 6:39-40. No one can snatch us out of God’s hands – Jn. 10:27-29. Nothing can separate us from God – Rom. 8:38-39. Furthermore, God has sealed me forever with the Holy Spirit who lives within me. I am sealed until the day of redemption (Eph. 1:13-14). Peter says that “through faith” we are “shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time” (1 Pe. 1:5). If I am truly saved, how could I ever be lost? Three things would be true if I could be lost: (1) God would have to cease being God! (2) He would be a liar and (3) His Word would have to be a complete fabrication. No, I’m saved and kept saved today because of the power of God.

I know I am saved because of . . .
4. The Change that Has Occurred in My Life
Salvation is a “new birth” (1 Pe. 1:3). In Christ you are “born again.” (1) birth is a one-time experience. In the Bible, you’re not born again, and again, and again (unless you’re a Buddhist or Shirley McClain). (2) this new birth is a spiritual birth that brings change in your life. In Christ you have a new nature. Now, after we are born we must continue to grow. Sometimes we doubt our salvation we are not growing in Christ. When that occurs we’re like the branches that have been cut off from the vine, dry, lifeless, dead. Assurance will be absent if you are not growing in Christ. You may be saved but your great need is to grow in Christ.

This new birth makes you “a new creation” (2 Cor. 5:17). You become a new person! How do I know? I was there when it happened. I received Jesus and He welcomed me into the family of God. And from that day forward He has been working in my life. I’m not what I ought to be, and I’m not what I will be, but praise God I’m not what I once was. Changes have occurred in my life. I do not fear judgement, my sins have been judged in Christ. No longer a slave to sin, I have resurrection power and I am now more than a conqueror through Christ! I have God’s Life Assurance Policy! Do you (2 Cor. 13:5)?

For His Glory!
Pastor Joe

No comments: